” Except perhaps for surgeons, teachers make more decisions than any other professional during the course of the workday, and the demands of the classroom require us to have simultaneously both expansive and focused attention.”
– Meena Srinivasan, Teach, Breathe, Learn
Bringing mindfulness to Life @ SCHOOL is a flexible, transformative professional development program for educators interested in integrating mindfulness into life at school for personal, professional and student wellbeing and learning.
This mindfulness-based PD is for educators wanting to:
- Restore joy, confidence and creativity to teaching and learning.
- Respond to increasing demands, complexity and change with calm, clarity and composure.
- Reduce stress and emotional reactivity within and beyond the classroom.
- Recognise that relationships are at the heart of effective teaching and learning.
The relevance of Bringing mindfulness to Life @ SCHOOL is grounded in connections with the Professional Standards for Australian Teachers, (particularly standards four and six); and to the DET Staff Wellbeing Framework.
This mindfulness-based PD will equip you and your colleagues with techniques to:
- increase resilience and stress management.
- improve communication with students, parents and colleagues.
- respond to challenging behaviours with clarity and calm
- manage and maximize learning and preparation time
- support the engagement of all students
Bringing mindfulness to Life @ SCHOOL can be delivered over several weeks or months to meet staff needs and availability at your school or regional cluster; and is offered annually mid-year as a 3-day professional retreat program.
Each year, the annual retreat program is adapted in response to relevant prevailing systemic priorities and the expressed needs and interests of attendees.
The ‘Bringing Mindfulness to Life @ School’ PD for educators acknowledges the capacity of teachers to recognise and adapt knew knowledge and skills to meet the needs of students and the profession.
Four evidence informed principles underscore the design and delivery of this flexible, transformative PD for educators:
- Understanding and practicing mindfulness puts us in wiser relationship with ourselves, with others and with our experiences.
- Practicing mindfulness is the foundation for mindful teaching and teaching mindfulness.
- The mindful educator integrates knowledge and practice of mindfulness to enhance personal, collegial and student wellbeing and learning.
- Understanding and practicing mindfulness in education supports teachers to demonstrate a range of standards for professional practice and professional engagement relevant to their career stage.
The Bringing mindfulness to Life @ SCHOOL PD for educators comprises fifteen hours of personally identified professional development delivered in seven modules.
Module 1: Foundations and fundamentals of mindfulness theory, and practice
Module 2: Bringing mindfulness to routines and transitions
Module 3: Mindful communication and inclusive pedagogy
Module 4: Bringing mindfulness to difficult communication
Module 5: Mindfulness as compassionate action
Module 6: Mindfulness as a support for curriculum and relationships
Module 7: Continuing to Bring Mindfulness to Life at School
Each module offers practical strategies to support personal, interpersonal and professional wellbeing, as well as promoting wellbeing of students and their effective engagement with classroom activities. There are opportunities for small group conversations, larger group discussions, reflection and planning.
Designed and delivered by Mindful Works founder and facilitator Dr Sharn Rocco, the content, scope and facilitation of Bringing mindfulness to Life @ SCHOOL PD for Educators are informed by Sharn’s decades of experience as an educator and teacher educator with expertise in integrated curriculum, reflective practice and mindfulness in education. This experience and expertise are combined with training in MBSR (Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction), CARE (Cultivating Awareness and Resilience in Education), Mindful Schools and MindUP Curriculums to make the program relevant, responsive and effective.
$595 per person* (Tax Deductible)
- 15 hours personally identified professional development
- The Bringing mindfulness to Life @ SCHOOL Handbook
- Guided Practice Recordings
- Certificate of Participation – CPD Points may apply
- Membership of Mindful Works for Educator network
* Discounts apply for early registration, staff groups and pre-service teachers. Cost for ‘in-house’ training negotiable on application.
What educators are saying about this PD
“A great introduction to the practice of mindfulness … Lots of ‘doing’ many examples of varied ways to practice mindfulness in your own life. Clear link and affirmation that the more mindful that you become personally the easier this will translate into how you conduct yourself in the work place.”
– Gail, Primary Principal, EQ
“I learned that what brings me and others joy tends to bring joy to students too. The resources and curriculum ideas for integration were very doable and there were short practices that can be used for transitions pre and post lessons.”
– Megan, DETE Positive Behaviour for Learning Teacher
“Personally satisfying. Provided a lot of options and self-reflection – seeing strengths and weaknesses and coming to understand there’s different ways to respond to difficult situations.”
– Cathy, Primary Teacher, EQ
“I feel that coming as a team to the 3 days has been really beneficial and that we are all on the same page in our quest to bring mindfulness to our school.”
– Kerrilee, School Counsellor, CEO
“This training ‘hit the spot’ for where I’m at in my personal journey as a learner and teacher.”
– Karen, SWDT
“A revitalizing experience, rich in research-based knowledge and experience, shared with a supportive group of professionals who put themselves at the centre of providing quality education, whilst enjoying healthy, positive relationships with others.”
– Gail, Early Childhood Educator, CEO
“Do yourself a favour and put your hand up for the course!! It is a wonderful experience filled with many resources and strategies to use both personally and in the workplace.”
– Paula, Prep Teacher, CEO